Ironically speaking; suggesting that if a phrase were written out, it would be in quotation marks to convey sarcasm
- He wanted to be quote-unquote normal.
- We've only had an 'average', quote, unquote, kind of recession.
- My parents take us skiing in Switzerland because it's quote unquote 'the done thing', but it's always so boring.
- He drowned in a boating quote 'accident' unquote.
- Our boss said she was quote 'the best man for the job' unquote, and everybody laughed.
- She wants to practice law because it is a quote – respected – unquote – field.
- We’re storytellers and we want to entertain, but we want to make things for the better and make a quote-unquote ‘difference’ in the world.
- The mosquitoes at his place are quote – very friendly – unquote, they will come to you before any of the house members do.