How and when to use Did
Did is used when we are talking in past tense. And it becomes fairly simple here because both do and does become did in the past tense.
Daily use sentences with Did (Did sentence example)
- I can’t sing as well as Mary did.
- I’m not responsible for what he did.
- He did a cartwheel.
- She did her best to help him.
- I did smoke when I was young.
- He did not know what to say.
- I did it the way he told me to.
- I did many things last night.
- Did you miss me?
- I wonder why he did that.
- I passed the exam and so did Tom.
- I did not eat my lunch yet.
- He did not speak unless spoken to.
- He did not go out.
- He was sick, so he did not go out.
- I did my homework.
- He did the reverse of what I asked.
- She did not say anything.
- She did her best never to think of him.
- All the player did their best.
- I am hungry because I did not eat lunch.
- She did nothing but cry all day.
- I can’t tell you what we did last night.
- We did a lot of singing at the party.
- I’m surprised that she did such a thing.
- I did that without consulting anyone.
- She advised him to see a lawyer, so he did.
- I didn’t go out last Sunday.
Questions in the Past tense
Statement: He eats bread.
Q (present): Does he eat bread
Q (past): Did he eat bread
There is no change in the sentence except for Does becoming Did.
1. They speak English
Present Tense: Do they speak English?
Past Tense: Did they speak English?
Negative: They do not speak English
2. She lives in France
Present Tense: Does she live in France?
Past Tense: Did she live in France?
Negative: She did not live in France
3. The earth goes around the sun
Present Tense: Does the earth go around the sun
Past Tense: Did the earth go around the sun
Negative: The earth does not go around the sun
4. The doll has black hair
Present Tense: Does the doll have black hair
Past Tense: Did the doll have black hair
Negative: The doll does not have black hair
5. We like reading
Present Tense: Do we like reading?
Past Tense: Did we like reading?
Negative: We do not like reading
Let’s practice – Comment your answer
1. ________ you know about the test tomorrow
2. ________ Ms Charles give homework everyday
3. ________ Cathy and Peter know about the submission tomorrow
4. ________ you know what happened in the lab today
5. ________ anyone have the Physics textbook
6. ________ Jenny know the girl in red
What is your English level?
Take our short English test to find out.
- Examples of pronouns
- Interrogative Sentences
- 50 English proverbs you should use in your speech
- Mispronounced Words in English
- What Is an Adverb?
- Ways to Say
- Common Prefixes in English
- Common Suffixes in English
- 10 Basic Grammar Mistakes You Should Avoid
- Know about Articles and their Usages with Examples
- Learn about Various Kinds of Pronouns with Examples
- 10 Types of Various Punctuation Marks and Know the Usage of Them
- 3 Degrees of Comparison with Examples
- 5 Different Types of Adjectives with Examples
- Top 5 Reasons of Why Strong Vocabulary is important
- 2 Types of widely used prepositions and how to use them in a sentence
- 12 Basic English Verb Tenses with Examples and and Usage Tips