Definition of dissonance:
1. the auditory experience of sound that lacks musical quality; sound that is a disagreeable auditory experience
2. Lack of agreement, consistency, or harmony.
3. A combination of tones contextually considered to suggest unrelieved tension and require resolution.
Synonyms of dissonance:
Sentence/Example of dissonance:
1. the cognitive dissonance of the experience should shock any uniformitarian in the audience fully awake.
2. I regret that I have to strike a little note of dissonance in this otherwise unanimous debate.
3. But Nature was just as fair that ambrosial September day as if there was not a dissonance.
4. The individual words of each poem collide and mingle, sometimes harmoniously and sometimes with a purposeful dissonance.